Welcome To Home Learning From Birth

Welcome To Home Learning From Birth

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Magnetic sensory tub

I had been searching for magnetic wands forever, as i wanted to do a magnetic sensory tub but was sick of using the fishing magnetic rods so when i found CELFkids supplied them i was very excited and for only $4 a wand-Bargain!
http://www.celfkids.com/default.html
We used bird seed as our sensory material, its so relaxing digging your hands into seeds and although it does make a big mess its fine for young children as its harmless to eat.
I gathered a collection of items from around the house, some magnetic and some not then buried them all into the seed.

I wrote on two pieces of paper "magnetic" and "not magnetic" and the kids used their new magnetic wands to search for the buried treasure and categorise them.





Mason enjoying the soothing seeds. Both kids ended up in the tub feet and all and seeds were everywhere but it was a great activity-maybe outside next time!









6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Why didn't I think of that? I am going to add magnets to our sensory table as soon as I can get all the other stuff cleaned out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the birdseed idea but all the bags of birdseed I found had added vitamins and minerals (little greenish pellets). I wasn't sure if that was safe for my 2 year old in case he ate some. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We breed finches so this is a finch mix, very fine and non toxic. If your unsure of the ingredients safety id stay away from it and use rice, lentils,risoni or sand

    ReplyDelete
  4. The seed is a great (new) idea. What a fun sensory experience. And with magnets too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Kate, I have been having a look and enjoying reading all the great things you and you kids get up to. Katrina from CELFkids

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such fun ideas!!! I just ordered a magnet wand from Amazon--I had seen some other ideas but yours motivated me to buy it. Thank you so much for sharing! Please stop by my blog if you have a sec. Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete